“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” – Albert Einstein

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Day 3 - Sauk City to Kendall


Route
Sauk City, WI to Kendall, WI - 59 miles
For details today's route, click here.

Weather
Sky condition:  High, broken clouds
Temperature:  60 to 76
Visibility:  Unlimited
Precipitation:  None
Wind:  Calm in the morning to light westerly in the afternoon

Significant Events
Climbed two pretty steep and long hills
Climbed a number of shorter hills
Hit 42 mph going downhill
Ileana (aka Speed Racer) hit 44 mph!

Today's Song
"Light My Fire" by The Doors

Wildlife Observed
Herons
Smaller dragon turtle
Deer
5 foot long black snake (aka Anaconda)
Squirrels
Chipmunks

Today's Ride
We deliberated a bit on whether to go on larger roads (US Highways) with wide shoulders but lots of traffic, and potentially less elevation change, or through the country, narrower roads, little to no traffic, but two known climbs. Ileana opted for the climbs.

So off we went, meandering through the countryside, and around mile 10 the first series of hills began. The major one was about 4.5 miles long and a 600' climb for an average 2.5% grade. The next big one was about 2.5 miles long with a 300' climb, an average 2% grade. Of note was one hill in particular that I estimate was a 200' climb in half mile, something like 7% grade. It was TOUGH!

Ileana on a monster hill!
Well, we survived, and got to Reedsburg for lunch. At Reedsburg, we joined the 400 Trail which joined the Elroy-Sparta trail. We took the Elroy-Sparta to Kendall, our stop for the night.

The Elroy-Sparta was the first designated "Rails-to-Trails" route in the country.

Kendall Depot

Elroy-Sparta History


Los Dos Centavos de Ileana
Last night Nolan told me that "For the first 2 hours" into our ride today, "There will be a couple hills."  What he did not share with me was that it will be 3 hours of CONSECUTIVE HILLS!  And I mean HILLS!  Yes, you go downhill for 2 seconds and go up for half an hour!!!

One of the "couple of hills" was soooo long (4-1/2 miles and went up 600 feet!) and every time I saw what I thought was the top, it actually was just where it curved UP and it was like ten curves!

I tried to concentrate and believed that I just needed to take it easy and it will be fine. Meantime, I was praying (mind you, I'm a devoted catholic that chooses to go to church once a year and its dificult to choose between Easter and Christmas!).  My thoughts related to the "hill" are blurry and I may had even made a promise to GOD!  Something like from Breaking Bad (crawling to a church!).  Anyhow, I sang, cursed (more than praying) and I started to question "why am I doing this? Why can't we just go on a normal vacation? Did Nolan pick this "hill" on purpose to get back at me?..."

Nolan bieng the kind and supportive husband he is, kept asking me "do you need to take a break?" I said nothing, trying to convey "leave me along right now!" 

However, he announced the he "needed a break", probably becuase he could see the pain on my face and could actually hear my huffing and puffing. After the break, Nolan asked "are you ready" and I nodded yes. He got back on his bike, and I started to walk. He looked at me and said "what are you doing?"  I said, "I'm walking". He started to be helpful again.  He said "you have the gear, I'll hold the bike while you  get on and go on."  After, many "no thanks" he rode his bike up the hill while shaking his head in disapproval! 

No comments:

Post a Comment